Friday 10 October 2008

Booking through Thursday - on a Friday

I don't normally do the BTT, but Peta has inspired me this time, so here goes ...

What was the last book you bought?

Err, Oh yes - I remember. I bought 'Jo's Boys' by L.M. Alcott and 'George' by Daphne du Maurier on my way back from an interview on Tuesday!

Name a book you have read MORE than once

I do re read books, although this year I've made an effort not to. I think I shall say 'The Age of Innocence' by Edith Wharton - although Austen could make an appearance too.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

I'm not really sure a book has ever made me change the way I am - but I have had profound experiences from certain books - this year 'Human Traces' by Sebastian Faulks and 'Daphne' by Justine Picardie

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

I was going to say I don't read reviews - but what do you call a blog post when it's at home if it's not a review?! Covers are more often than not the thing that tempts me (or the writing of the title), but recommendations from people I trust might also cause me to try something I wouldn't normally have considered

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

It depends on what mood I'm in - I've been in a fiction mood recently.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

They are both very important for different reasons

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)

Most loved? Ummm. Piglet from Winnie the Pooh, Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing and Elizabeth Bennet. Sorry Peta, I stole your answer - but it remains true for me too!

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

Err - well I'm not reading the ones on my nigtstand so not sure it counts!

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?

Mrs Miniver by Jan Struther on Sunday - I'm reading The King's General at the moment.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

More than once

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you've made me curious about "Human Traces" and best of luck with your interviews.

GlassCurls said...

It's a very good book - and is one of the few to make me cry.

Thanks for the good wishes - interviews are very nerve wracking!

J said...

when I read these questions I had to think about myself and the books I've bought and given up at half...
I wish you also good luck for your interviews.

GlassCurls said...

Sometimes there are better things to do than continue with a book you're struggling with!

Peta said...

Clearly we share the same excellent taste in characters! Great minds and all. :)

GlassCurls said...

Yes indeed Peta!

StuckInABook said...

Finally done this!
http://stuck-in-a-book.blogspot.com/2008/10/booking-through-thursday-sort-of.html