Wednesday 1 October 2008

Mostly Books

Well, I know that I've been feeling in university reading mood recently, by wanting to read lots of classics, as if someone had handed me a Victorian Novel reading list to make my way through, but if today's splurge is anything to go by, I am most CERTAINLY in University mood.

I couldn't spend £73 in one go if I wasn't.

Within my haul are the following:

'The Victorian Chaise-Longue' by Marghanita Laski (Persephone book) -- Having finished 'The Yellow Wallpaper' this morning, this seems like a natural follow on. I'm loving it.

'From A to X' by John Berger

'Counting my Chickens' by Deborah Devonshire -- I've been looking for this for years. Whoo!

'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' by Winifred Watson (Persephone book) -- loved the film, hope to love the book.

'Flush: A Biography' by Virginia Woolf (Persephone book) -- another of Justine's 'what to read' recommendations. Will go well with 'Lady's Maid' by Margaret Atwood that I bought last week.

'Consider the Years' by Virginia Graham (Persephone book)

THEN - having a browse through the Oxfam bookshop on st Giles, I found 'Mrs Miniver' by Jan Struther, and my life was complete!

Two other matters:
- Simon - the Diary of a Provincial Lady omnibus has a woman at her desk, with a man slumped in a chair - not the one you described.

- If anyone is in Oxford, there's a first edition of 'Trilby' in the st Giles Oxfam. It's £20 - I'm not stretching to that, so thought it would be a good idea to spread the news!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just recently finished "Counting my Chickens" and it's delightful. I'd like to have tea with Debo, she's swell.