Wednesday 28 January 2009

Poem of the week

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats

Very sorry not to have posted recently - it's been a mad few weeks, with family illness and job stress and other things. I've done quite a bit of reading, but have had no chance to talk about it. I was interviewed by Mark Thwaite for The Book Depository - which you can see here
.

5 comments:

Joan Mora said...

Read your interview at Book Depository and followed the link to your blog.

I was lucky enough to attend Oxford's Summer Programme in Creative Writing a few years ago and fell in love with the city.

I look forward to reading your blog. I enjoyed your Ode to Oxford (May 2008).

GlassCurls said...

Hello :-) Lovely to see you here.

How great to have been on the creative writing programme. I'm glad Oxford worked it's magic!

Genki said...

Another person here who saw your interview at Book Depository and noticed we have very simlar reading tastes.

I am also currently reading Mitford sister letters, having read most of their boigraphies last year, and am also having a Daphne du Maurier phase. I loved Daphne!

GlassCurls said...

I think there must come a time in everyone's life when there must be a Daphne phase. If they are lucky, it will last their whole life!!! If you havn't already, you should read Justine Picardie's novel on Daphne, as it's a great insight into a portion of her life!

Elaine said...

Thank you so much for mentioning me on Book Depository. I had the pleasure of being interviewed a few weeks ago and was up there in January. Blogging is such an amazing way to get to know people and to link to them and I never fail to be astonished at stumbling across a blog and finding I am linked to it. Always feel very grateful!

Am going to Cambridge on Saturday, my younger daughter as you probably know by now as I do tend to rabbit about my family, is a fellow at St Johns and so I have an excuse to visit even more often. It is only an hours drive away for me and I never tire of walking around the streets and just drinking in the atmosphere. Oh and visiting book shops of course...