Tuesday 15 December 2009

Christmas Quiz

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a little something to test those brain cells, and so here is my round from my book club quiz, from whence I have just returned.

These are first lines from novels. All you have to do is tell me which novel, and who wrote it .... I know there will be great temptation to google, but as an incentive, I can promise a prize to the person with the highest number of right answers. And if you do feel the need to cheat, would you mind saying so - in the spirit of Christmas!

Also, apologies for the total silence - it's been mega busy at work. If anyone wants to know the complete ins and outs of the Oxford interview process, let me know, but I won't go in to details now!

Quiz time!!!!


1). The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.


2). All happy families are alike but an unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion.


3). It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.


4). The Primroses were over.


5). Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.


6). Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours that they meant to murder him.


7). A strange melancholy pervades me to which I hesitate to give the grave and beautiful name of sadness.


8). No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own.


9). He – for there could be no doubt of his sex, though the fashion of the time did something to disguise it – was in the act of slicing at the head of a Moor which swung from the rafters.


10). I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.


11). It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him.


12). Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.


13). It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.


14). The boys, as they talked to the girls from Marica Blaine School, stood on the far side of their bicycles holding the handlebars, which established a protective fence of bicycle between the sexes, and the impression that at any moment the boys were likely to be away.


15). Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.


10 comments:

Julia said...

Looks like I'm first, but these are the only ones I know:

1. The Go-Between (L.P. Hartley)
2. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
3. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
10. I Capture The Castle (Dodie Smith)
14. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Muriel Spark)

callmemadam said...

Good quiz! No cheating. Some guessing.
1. The Go-Between, L P Hartley
2. Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
3.
4. So familiar!
5.
6. Brighton Rock, Graham Greene
7.
8. The War of the Worlds, H G Wells?
9. Orlando, Virginia Woolf?
10. I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith
11. Catch 22, Joseph Heller?
12. Something by E M Forster?
13. 1984, George Orwell
14. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Muriel Spark
15. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

StuckInABook said...

Doh, I can't enter!
In my defence, I knew eight of them at the quiz, and another two because they were repeated from the Abingdon quiz!

Elaine said...

1) The Go Between - LP Hartley
2) Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
3) The bell Jar - S Plath
6) Brighton Rock - Graham Greene (wild guess here)
10) I capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
12) Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
13) 1984 - George Orwell
14) Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark

harriet said...

5. Ulysses
9. Orlando
11.Catch 22

Helen N said...

Without any cheating (although I am now going to google the ones I don't know as I recognise a couple and can't put a name to them!:
1. The Go Between, L P Hartley
2. Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
3. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath (one of my favourite books ever!)
4.
5. Ulysses, James Joyce (got this wrong in a book quiz recently so will NEVER forget it)
6. Brighton Rock, Graham Greene
7.
8. War of the Worlds, H G Wells
9. Orlando, Virgina Woolf
10. I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith
11. Catch 22, Joseph Heller
12.
13. 1984, George Orwell
14.
15. Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Douglas Adams

Historian said...

While I could only guess that the last entry was Hitchhiker's Guide, I had to comment. I studied at Hertford College, Oxford for six months last January, and after perusing your blog for an hour I am so "homesick" for it that it physically hurts. I miss magical magical Blackwells, and walking down Cornmarket with my west cornwall pasty (cheese and onion, please). So thanks for the lovely book recommendations and reminders of Oxford. I'll be coming back soon!

GlassCurls said...

Wow, this was close ... and although I'm contemplating leaving this for a couple of days in case more people have a go, I think I'm going to call it .... and therefore the winner, with 11 right answers is Helen N! Congratulations!

Your prize is athird impression of Daphne du Maurier's 'The King's General' - bought in the summer from Bookends of Fowey. If you'll email your address to mistressdickens @ gmail.com, then I'll put it in the post after Christmas!

The 4 Helen didn't get were:

4. Watership Down - Richard Adams
7. Bonjour Tristesse - Francois Sagon
12. A Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
14. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark

Well done everyone, happy christmas!

Pursewarden said...

In think I may have an unfair advantage here as some of them feature in my own quiz on my Pursewarden blog - so I won't enter!

Minnie said...

I love quizzes, so cannot resist - even if it means (as it does here) displaying my ignorance:
1)The Go-Between by L P Hartley
2)Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3)The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
4)Er ...
5)Ulysses by James Joyce (no excuses, is a firm favourite)
6)Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
7)Ooh ...
8)Ah ...
9) Orlando by Virginia Woolf
10)Aargh ...
11)Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
12)Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (only work by him saving 'The Turn of the Screw' which I liked ...)
13) 1984 by George Orwell
14) The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
15) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

B for effort - so moderately pleased with self (and much cheered on miserable day). Thank you so much & all the best for 2010.