Monday 15 December 2008

Dusty

There are times when I really hate books.

Don't worry - this doesn't happen very often, but I'm having a moment today when I wish I lived in an old country house, with someone employed to look after my books for me.

I decided to sort my books out - not put them in alphabetical order (impossible, seeing as how lots of them only fit certain shelves), but at least have them grouped, so as to make them easier to find. This, I'm sure, would be helped if I could have an extra bookcase, so they aren't double stacked, but I have to make do with what I have.

I am now very dusty and hot, and I'm not sure if the streaming eyes and nose are due to my cold, or the whirlwind of dust that has accumulated around my head. So far, I've taken every classic and VMC off their respective shelves, piled them onto the floor, and pulled other books off other shelves to make room for them.

So in the spare room, I now have all my hardback books, classics, VMC's and some historical biography.

Now the question remains what to do with all the rest. One bookcase needs to be filled (the third is chock full of anything and everything and is damn well going to stay that way). Do I put all the books that I have read at the bottom so they can't be seen, and double stack from the bottom up, or do I do a proper alphabetical sort, regardless of genre, size or if it's been read? This is why I don't sort out my books - it's far too stressful!

Anyway, now that I've had my rant, I'd best get back to it all. Actually, I've just had a disconcerting thought - Christmas is coming, and I know I've got at least two books coming through that - I'm going to have to go through this again in two weeks time!

Speaking of Christmas - if you could only have one book as a present (and buying for yourself doesn't count) what would be at the top of your list?

2 comments:

Peta said...

Well done you - book organising is always so awful but very rewarding afterwards!

Just one book...? I did "prune" my book wishlist to a mere 50 items before handing it over to my husband but if I was to receive just one book then it would have to be a more expensive one I would struggle to justify to myself such as Humument by Mark Phillips or Mark Danielewski's full The House of Leaves or signed copies of the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman or pretty much anything from Subterranean Press. Or a series I've asked for.

Just one book you say... I can't commit to one!

GlassCurls said...

I realise I'm mean! All those books you've mentioned sound really interesting though!