Thursday 31 July 2008

I'll go down in history ...

I was talking about my antipathy to the Booker longlist with my father, who has been away this week, and so missed the drama when it happened, and was giving my reasons for not liking Rushdie (Don't understand him mainly) and he asked if I feel guilty about this. I replied in the affirmative.

Yes, he mused, it's as if you were Victorian, and said you didn't like Dickens.


I'm doomed. I'll go down in history as the one person on earth who didn't know a good thing when she saw it. Thanks Dad!

4 comments:

StuckInABook said...

I think I've met one person who likes reading Rushdie!

GlassCurls said...

So I'm not a complete heathen then? Phew!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call you a heathen for not liking Rushdie. I actually liked the two Rushdie books I've read (Midnight's Children and Shalimar the Clown), but they didn't change my life. Maybe I'll read more, maybe not. I don't get all the fuss over Midnight's Children. This gets the Booker of Bookers? It was good, but not that good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oxford Reader,
I am trying to get in touch with details of a reviewing project you may be interested in, my email: mac@literarytigers.com - I just need yours.
No obligations whatsoever.
Regards
Mac