Friday 4 July 2008

Poem of the week

Here's a small thing from Rumi:

If thou wilt be observant and vigilant, thou wilt see at every moment the response to thy action. Be observant if thou wouldst have a pure heart, for something is born to thee in consequence of every action.


BAFAB competition continues until midnight tonight. If you've already entered, send more people my way, doesn't matter if I've never met them, or they don't blog, or where in the world they live, the more the merrier!

2 comments:

Angela Young said...

Rumi is wonderful, isn't he? A while ago (February) I posted a piece about his poem called The Guest House ... do you know it? It begins:

This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness
Some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all

... and so it continues. 'Welcome and entertain them all' stays with me.

GlassCurls said...

I have to admit I know very little of his work. Mum bought me a book of his poems years ago, which I didn't touch, and then at this year's Oxford lit fest I went to Coleman Barks' talk on Rumi and got hooked!

I like the one you've quoted, I'd not heard it before.