Thursday 29 May 2008

Events both bookish and not


Terribly sorry, but this might sound a bit of a brag.

I am ever so, ever so excited.

On Saturday I am going here ---------^^^ That's Port Eliot, where I will be joining Justine Picardie and DGR for a wonderful garden party in honour of Daphne du Maurier. I've been worrying all week about the weather, how many pairs of shoes to take (heels that sink in the grass just aren't a good look) and which books to bring along for the journey. Something du Maurier related, I have no doubt.

The other thing that's making me excited is this:

That's the Queen Mary 2 - upon which I shall be ensconsed next Sunday. My mother and I are flying out to New York this time next week, where I shall run around the art galleries like a crazy lady and try to get tickets for 'Gypsy'. Wonder of wonders, the ship has internet, so I will be able to keep you updated, at least once in the six days it takes to get back to Blighty.
Apparently there is a library, so that will be where I can be found, most likely.

But I need help! What sort of books are right for this luxury? Can anyone recommend anything?

So there we go - I can behave like Julia in 'Brideshead Revisited'. Or better yet, to tie it in with the Port Eliot event, I can conjur up the spirit of Daphne, who took the original Queen Mary back from America after the filming of the wonderful Hitchcock version of her book 'Rebecca'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best place to have your questions about the QM2 answered is http://z3.invisionfree.com/CunardCritic/index.php and I've saved a few mementos of my own at http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/pb82/. You will love the library and the starboard and port halls just aft of ConneXions on Deck 2 offer places for reading that are just twenty feet above the sea. Bon Voyage!

Anonymous said...

am decidedly jealous Oxford Reader - looks like Port Eliot will be lovely, an English spring! Here it is Winter, 20 degrees and everyone reaches for the heater to be on :)

StuckInABook said...

How exciting, on both counts!

Less exciting, but I've tagged you for a meme: http://stuck-in-a-book.blogspot.com/2008/05/playing-favourites.html