Friday 23 May 2008

I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls

Wiblingen Monastery Library, Ulm, Germany

Pierpont Morgan Library, New York (I hope to be here in two weeks)

Peabody Library, Baltimore (What a great name!)

Melk Monastery Library, Austria


Library of Benedictine Monastery, Admont, Austria

George Vanderbilt's Biltmore House Library (which would be a rather wonderful place to relax with a leather bound tome)


Codrington Library, All Souls, Oxford

Biblioteca Medicae-Laurneziana, Florence

Biblioteca Geral da Universidade de Combria, Portugal




Inspired by Justine's post on the great people that staff libraries and are so helpful to those that need them, which included some pictures that made me go all weak at the knees with the carved and painted cielings, and the ever so high shelves, I went in search of more pictures. I found this site, the above are my favourites (I found more than I intended, and so I apologise for the length!)

It seems to me that it might be worth a sex change and a vocation to God to be allowed to live in the Monastery libraries!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic pictures. You've given me a wonder idea for my next vacation.

GlassCurls said...

Thanks :-) I'm planning on going to the one in New York when I'm there!

Juliet said...

What a fantastic collection of photos - a feast for the eyes and the imagination. With my own bank holiday weekend being spent amidst the noise and chaos of children's parties, sleepovers etc, and the prospect of reading between zero and four pages of any book whatever, these are quite blissful to contemplate. Thank you!

GlassCurls said...

I've read two books so far ... so hopefully will get another under my belt by close of play tomorrow, but I somehow doubt it!
The pictures are wonderful, aren't they? I'd quite happily live in some of them!