Tuesday 3 June 2008

Decision time

Ok, I have pulled books from shelves, sat on the floor with them, dispaired and turned to you for help. I know not what to take.

These are the ones I am sure on:

'My Mother's Wedding Dress' by Justine Picardie
'Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont' by Elizabeth Taylor
'Wide Sargasso Sea' by Jean Rhys
'The Parasites' by Daphne du Maurier
'A Fool's Alphabet' by Sebastian Faulks


These are the ones on which I need help:

'Northanger Abbey' - Jane Austen
'Love and Friendship' - Jane Austen
'Evening' - Susan Minot
'The Turn of the Screw' - Henry James
'A Long Long Way' - Sebastian Barry
'The Rendezvous and Other Stories' - Daphne du Maurier
'A Murder is Announced' - Agathe Christie
'Hons and Rebels' - Jessica Mitford
'84 Charing Cross Road' - Helene Hanff
'Carry On, Jeeves' - P.G. Wodehouse

Cast your votes now. I'm going to start packing clothes. Sorry to be all mad as a wet hen on you all - I've never known a packing session to be so stressful!

6 comments:

StuckInABook said...

Hope this isn't too late... 84 Charing Cross Rd is brilliant; can't go wrong with Jane Austen; I really want to read Hons and Rebels. Also really want to read Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (which I have somewhere) so look forward to hearing how you find it.

Henri Llewelyn Davies said...

I agree with stuckinabook about Hanff and Austen. Hons and Rebels is great fun and decades ago I always loved Nancy Mitford's novels - the sister, as you probably know. Also, Justine's Wedding Dress is one of my favourites of hers.

GlassCurls said...

Hmm, Hons and Rebels seems to be calling out. I might take an Austen too, they are quite slim!
Thanks both fo you!

Peta said...

Put the "undecideds" under a cloth, shuffle them about and choose three. If your heart sinks at any of the selection then discard it and re-pick! It's a system I use when picking my next book to read!

GlassCurls said...

Good idea! Thanks

Sarah said...

I just got 84 Charing Cross Road in the mail. (I love getting books in the mail.)

I'm super excited about reading it.